Now have a good excuse to order another round. Brew, may help keep bones strong, a study has found. Researchers from the Department of Food Science & Technology at the University of California.To see important ads, turn off your ad blocker! Article continued below:
Have found that beer is a rich source of silicon and may help prevent osteoporosis, as dietary silicon is a key ingredient for increasing bone-mineral density.
These were the findings after researchers tested 100 commercial beers for silicon content and categorized the data according to beer style and source.
Previous research has suggested beer contained silicon but little was known about how silicon levels varied with the different types of beer and malt-ing processes.
“We have examined a wide range of beer styles for their silicon content and have also studied the impact of raw materials and the brewing process on the quantities of silicon that enter wort and beer,” researcher Charles Bamforth said in a statement.
The study, published in the Journal of the “Science of Food and Agriculture“, found the beers’ silicon content ranged from 6.4 milligrams per liter to 56.5 milligrams per liter.
Beer drinkers and silicon.
The average person’s silicon intake each day is between 20 and 50 milligrams. The researchers found there was little change in the silicon content of barley during the malting process as most of the silicon in barley is in the husk, which is not affected greatly during malting.
They found that pale ales showed the highest silicon content, while non-alcoholic beers, light lagers and wheat beers had the least silicon.
“Beers containing high levels of malted barley and hops are richest in silicon,” said Bamforth. “Wheat contains less silicon than barley because it is the husk of the barley that is rich in this element.”
But Bamforth told reporters that the results shouldn’t be taken too serious. The study examined the beers but it did not look at bone-mineral density or analyze patients’ data.
Beer drinkers and women.
“I would first consider flavor and whether you like it or not,” he told science and technology magazine Discover.
A study conducted in Spain last year also revealed that women who drink beer daily have stronger bone density and have a lower risk of developing osteoporosis later in life.
Of course, I’m not promoting beer, but you have to agree, it’s an interesting fact. And know that life is formed from facts!
Beer drinkers, which name beers are sold in Europe and which in the US?
There are numerous beers sold in both Europe and the US, and the availability of specific brands can vary by region. I can provide you with a list of some well-known beer brands that are commonly associated with each region.
- Heineken: A Dutch lager beer known globally.
- Guinness: An Irish stout, famous for its dark color and creamy head.
- Stella Artois: A Belgian pilsner with a strong international presence.
- Carlsberg: A Danish pilsner with widespread popularity.
- Beck’s: A German pilsner that is often found internationally.
- Pilsner Urquell: A Czech pilsner and one of the world’s first pale lagers.
- Kronenbourg 1664: A French lager known for its premium quality.
- Peroni: An Italian lager with a distinctive taste.
- Budweiser: One of the most well-known American lagers.
- Coors: Known for brands like Coors Light and Coors Banquet.
- Miller: Includes various brands like Miller Lite and Miller High Life.
- Samuel Adams: A craft beer brand offering a range of styles.
- Sierra Nevada: Known for its pale ales and other craft beers.
- Blue Moon: A Belgian-style witbier brewed by Coors.
- Pabst Blue Ribbon (PBR): A budget-friendly beer with a cult following.
- New Belgium: Maker of the popular Fat Tire Amber Ale.
Please note that the beer market is vast, and there are many more brands available in both regions, ranging from large international corporations to small local craft breweries.
Additionally, due to globalization and the popularity of certain brands, you might find some of these beers available in both Europe and the US, even if they originate from one of the regions.
Good luck to you!